Sunday, November 4, 2018

Diary of 1st Sergeant John L. Ransom: December 12, 1864

Routed up at an early hour and loaded on to the cars, which stood upon a side track, and after being loaded have been here for six mortal hours. Small rations given us just before loading up All are cramped up and mad. We will more than jump the first opportunity, We go to Charleston, via. Savannah. Wish they would hurry up their old vehicles for transportation. Being doubled up like a jack knife makes my legs stiff and sore, and difficult to use my limbs from cramped position. Worth four hundred dollars a day to see the rebel troops fly around. Would give something to know the exact position now of both armies. Guards are sleepy and tired out from doing double duty, and I think we can get away if they move us by night, which I am afraid they won't do Bucks jubilant and confident, consequently so am I.

SOURCE: John L. Ransom, Andersonville Diary, p. 135

No comments: