Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Diary of Captain Luman Harris Tenney: Saturday, April 1, 1865

At daylight, without supper or breakfast, advanced. Rebels in front fell back. 5th corps up. Advanced dismounted 5 miles to the rebel breastworks. Built temporary breastworks. Held them under fire till 4 P. M. when the 5th corps came up and charged. Advanced through the pines till in sight of works and guns with a yell. Repulsed. Formed line again and in 15 minutes charged again. Got under the works and laid down. Here Brother Thede, noble and brave boy, was struck through with a piece of shell. Helped him from the field. Suffered awfully. In answer to my questions he said: “Luman, I think my wound is mortal. I can not live. I have tried to do my duty today. Tell mother I only wish I had been a better boy. I hope that God will accept me and take me to Heaven.” He had his senses for 30 or 40 minutes when he sank away as we carried him along and died before we reached the hospital. I thought that he had fallen asleep. I spoke to him but received no answer. His pulse beat feebly. I knew then that he was going. The Doctor gave him some brandy, but no life appeared. I buried him in a rough box beneath a cedar tree in front of the house and across the road and cut the headboard with a knife. God sustain mother.

BROTHER THEODORE
KILLED IN THE LAST GREAT BATTLE AT FIVE FORKS, VA.

SOURCE: Frances Andrews Tenney, War Diary Of Luman Harris Tenney, p. 149

No comments: