Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Major Fitz John Porter to Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler, April 29, 1861

PHILADELPHIA, PA., April 29th, 1861

To Maj. [sic] Gen’l. B. F. BUTLER, Commanding Department of Annapolis

GENERAL: I trust that my assurances that information in my possession, convincing (me) that though well guarded the road to the Annapolis Junction is very insecure against organized schemes of parties resolved to interrupt the travel after your trains commence running, will pardon my suggesting that in the words of Gen. Scott “the road be studded with companies permanently stationed,” and every foot of the road be under the observation of parties of two or more well-armed, and supported by detachments from these companies.

The company which has forwarded engines for your service are anxious, exceedingly so, for the safety of the Annapolis Junction, and if misfortune should arise from want of precaution on the part of the army confidence will be so shaken that I doubt if it could be easily secured, especially as the present quietude of the enemy is to lull us into security. Every effort is now being made here to complete the opening of the road to Washington, and to maintain its efficiency.

My aim being the welfare of our country, and the credit of those called to its defense, will, I hope, excuse with you this private and voluntary tender of interest. I shall remain with General Patterson, and if I can at any time serve you, it will be my pleasure. With great respect,

Your obdt. servt.,
F. J. PORTER

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 57

No comments: