Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2026

Daniel Webster to Richard M. Blatchford, August 31, 1851

[Franklin, August 31, 1851.] Sunday evening.

MY DEAR SIR, — This has been a lonely and rather unhappy day. Since last evening the pain in my feet has been constant and intense, and I do not think I slept twenty minutes at one time, last night, between nine o'clock and three. Nor have I been able to sleep to-day. The weather is fine, and I drove up to the village this P. M. to ask the doctor to come down and see if he could not give me something, colchicum, or something else, to relieve pain without opium. He says he will try.

Friday about noon, I thought I felt catarrhal symptoms. There were some tendency of defluxion from the nose, the eyes did not feel right, and what was more important, I felt a degree of general depression, which belongs to the disease. I fought the demonstration off, however, and at present feel nothing of it. Indeed, while I write this, such is the burning in my feet, that I could not well feel any thing else. The complaint in the feet does not spread. It is confined to the extremities, the toes of the two feet. No external application gives any relief.

Monday morning, seven o'clock. I am glad I did not fill up this sheet last evening, as I am better to-day, and have no bad signs or symptoms about me.

I expect to hear from you at eleven o'clock.

Yours, truly always,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, pp. 468-9

No comments:

Post a Comment