Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2026

Daniel Webster to Edward Everett, September 27, 1851

Marshfield, September 27, 1851.

MY DEAR SIR, — My speech of the 7th of March, 1850, is probably the most important effort of my life, and as likely as any other to be often referred to. I think, therefore, it ought to have a short name for a running title, and for popular use. I should like to have "Union" in it, in some form, and would retain the date, to distinguish it from other "Union" speeches. Suppose you say in the running title, "Mr. Webster's Speech," or "Speech, March 7, 1850, on the danger of the Union and the duties of its friends," or "Speech for the Union and the Constitution, March 7, 1850."

Do I not say in the speech, which is not before me, "I speak to-day for the Union?" I leave all to your taste and judgment, but incline myself strongly for the last form stated above. Mr. Clay's resolutions were rather the occasion than the subject of the speech.

I am on the manuscript to-day.

Yours,
D. W.
P. S. A very rainy morning.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, pp. 473-4

No comments:

Post a Comment