Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2026

Daniel Webster to Millard Fillmore, September 28, 1851

(EXTRACT.)
Marshfield, September 28, 1851.

MY DEAR SIR, — I heard with great pleasure of your arrival at Washington in safety and good health. I am sure your recollections of your visit to the Bostonians must be pleasant, as you gave them all much pleasure. It is a long time since they have seen among them a Whig President; I do not hear any thing but satisfaction from any quarter.

As soon as you left Boston, I went to the country, and stayed two or three days with Mr. Haven. I was far from being well, and one day quite sick. Sometimes the force of the catarrh seems pretty much broken, and then it returns attacking the head, eyes, nose, &c., with great violence. I think it is approaching its last stage, which is the asthmatic stage. Some of our friends who are subjects of the complaint, and who have short necks, dread this. I do not fear much from this, although in this stage I feel its influence more or less on the chest. Meantime, between the catarrh and the Harrisburg diarrhea, I am a good deal reduced. This cannot be denied, though I am not quite so sick, as the newspapers represent me sometimes.

The weather is now bad, and I am obliged to keep house; but it does me good to be out in fair weather. In such a day as this, a northeast rain-storm pouring, I cough a little, and am as hoarse as a frog.

But enough of myself.
Yours truly,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, pp. 474-5

No comments:

Post a Comment