Monday, February 17, 2014

Salmon Brown to Owen Brown Sr., February 28, 1829

HUNTSVILLE, ALA., Feb. 28, 1829.

HONORED FATHER, — In order to avoid that circumlocution of "compliments," which I have heard you mention as one of the defects of my letters in general, it shall be the object of this to make known to you, with the least preamble and in the fewest possible number of words, all that a parent, kind and solicitous as you have ever been, might desire to know in relation to the welfare of an absent child. My health, thank God, has been uniformly good since I was at Hudson last July. From New York, if I mistake not, sometime in the month of September, I wrote you a letter, and inclosed one of my printed circulars, by which I presumed you would be made acquainted with the tour I had in contemplation, and the several points to which letters might be directed in season to reach me. This probably was not received till after your return from New England, which circumstance sufficiently accounts for its not being answered. I have pursued almost literally the track indicated by the circular alluded to, and still intend to persevere, till I have accomplished the entire journey. My operations have been as successful as heretofore, though I have experienced more delays than usual. On leaving this place, I shall proceed South, by the way of Tuscaloosa and Mobile, to New Orleans; but having business to transact at a great many intermediate places, I cannot determine with any degree of certainty when I shall reach there, or how early I shall be able to leave that place in the spring.

This, I am resolved, shall be my last tour in the United States, at least on the extensive scale I have practised for the last three years. I however still intend to execute the project which I disclosed to you last summer; and I cannot neglect the present opportunity to thank you for the very valuable hint which you suggested to me, in respect of availing myself of the facilities which my travels afford, to collect materials and information to be made use of hereafter in public lecturing. I have reflected much on the subject, and I am fully persuaded the business may be turned to a good practical account, in reference to my intended operations abroad. I am therefore applying myself to the subject in good earnest, both by extending my own personal observations as widely as possible, and by consulting any written authority which may throw light upon my object of research. But pray let this matter, as well as the other, rest for the present between ourselves exclusively.

I am exceedingly anxious to receive a letter from you. When shall I be gratified? On my arrival at New Orleans? I hope so. I also hope that you will not be sparing of the local news of your vicinity. I should like to know something of the results of your journey to the East. You doubtless heard of me among our family relations. I am obliged to leave off abruptly, and I will not delay sending this for the sake of filling out the sheet at another time. My love to all our family, and to my friends in general. Adieu.

SALMON BROWN.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 27-8

No comments: