Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Robert E. Lee to Lieutenant-General Ulysses S. Grant, June 13, 1865

RICHMOND, June 13, 1865.
Lieut. Gen. U.S. GRANT,
Commanding Armies of the United States:

GENERAL: Upon reading the President's proclamation of the 29th ultimo, I came to Richmond to ascertain what was proper or required of me to do, when I learned that with others I was to be indicted for treason by the grand jury at Norfolk. I had supposed that the officers and men of the Army of Northern Virginia were, by the terms of their surrender, protected by the United States Government from molestation so long as they conformed to its conditions. I am ready to meet any charges that may be preferred against me. I do not wish to avoid trial, but if I am correct as to the protection granted by my parole, and am not to be prosecuted, I desire to comply with the provisions of the President's proclamation, and therefore inclose the required application, which I request in that event may be acted on.*

I am, with great respect, your obedient servant,
 R. E. LEE.
_______________

* The application was forwarded by General Grant to the President – See last paragraph of Grant to Lee, June 20, p. 1287

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 46, Part 3 (Serial No. 97), p. 1275-6; John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 384

No comments: