Saturday, June 14, 2014

Major Rutherford B. Hayes to Sardis Birchard, June 14, 1861

Camp Jackson, Near Columbus,
Friday P. M., June 14, 1861.

Dear Uncle: — I received from Cincinnati two letters from you, and am very sorry to hear of your ill health. If you are not likely to come here soon, let me know, and I will certainly visit Fremont, when I can get leave to go home. The business here will require attention for a few days yet, before we get into an established routine. I shall probably leave here in about a week, and can then, if you wish it, visit you one day. If you were well, you would enjoy a few days here. Laura could send you out in the morning, and there are hosts of conveyances back.

I enjoy this thing very much. It is open-air, active life, novel and romantic. Hotter than Tophet in the sun, but a good breeze blowing all the time.

Our arrangement of regimental matters has turned out to be a capital one so far. We are in command of the whole camp, and, as Colonel Rosecrans is absent, Matthews and I are starring it. What we don't know, we guess at, and you may be sure we are kept pretty busy guessing.

My want now is a good horse. A small or medium-sized animal of good sense, hardy and kind, good looking enough, but not showy, is what I want. A fast walk, smooth trot, and canter are the gaits. I don't object to a pacer if he can walk and gallop well. Don't bother yourself to find one, but if you happen to know any, let me know. I am busy or I would write more.

Sincerely,
R. B. Hayes.
S. Birchard.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 25

No comments: