Monday, September 1, 2014

John Letcher to Senator Robert M. T. Hunter, December 9, 1859

Lexington, Va., December 9th, 1859.
My Dear Sir:

I received your letter of the 6th (postmarked 8th) this morning.

We are in the deepest distress, in consequence of the death of our second son, under the most afflictive circumstances. A week before his death he got a splinter in his hand, only a part of which as it turned out had been extracted. He attended school the entire week, and never complained of it. On Saturday last he was playing throughout the day. At supper he ate heartily, and remarked when we were leaving the table that it pained him to open his mouth. After supper he read until bed time, without further complaint. Twice during the night he complained that his neck was stiff, but after getting up and placing the clothing over him, he slept until morning, and we supposed he had taken a slight cold. At ten on Sunday morning, the first symptoms of Locked jaw appeared, and in spite of all that could be done, he died in fifteen hours. He was ten years old, sprightly, intelligent, noble hearted, and a universal favorite with old and young about the Town.  His death makes a sad breach in our family circle.

My general health has greatly improved, but I still suffer from Erysipilis. I fear I shall never get clear of it. I have intended to visit Washington to consult Doct[or] Garnett before going to Richmond, as I have more confidence in him, than the physicians here, who are divided in opinion about it.

It really looks to me, as if the days of the Republic were numbered. All the indications seem to me to point to a dissolution of the Union, and that at an early day. There must be a speedy and a radical change in Northern sentiment, or we cannot remain a united people. They can save the Union, and it rests with them to do it. If I am to have a stormy administration, so be it, I am prepared for it, and will meet any issue that may be tendered promptly and with that decision which a Virginia Executive should exhibit. I know what my friends expect of me, and they shall not be disappointed.

I think I will be in Washington next week, perhaps on Wednesday.

SOURCE: Charles Henry Ambler, Editor, Correspondence of Robert M. T. Hunter, 1826-1876,p. 274-5

No comments: