Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Lieutenant-General Ulysses S. Grant to Edwin M. Stanton, May 13, 1864

SPOTSYLVANIA COURT-HOUSE, May 13, 1864.
Hon. E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War, Washington, D.C.:

I beg leave to recommend the following promotions to be made for gallant and distinguished services in the last eight days' battles, to wit: Brig. Gen. H. G. Wright and Brig. Gen. John Gibbon to be major-generals; Col. S.S. Carroll, Eighth Ohio Volunteers, Col. E. Upton, One hundred and twenty-first New York Volunteers; Col. William McCandless, Second Pennsylvania Reserves, to be brigadier-generals. I would also recommend Maj. Gen. W. S. Hancock for brigadier-general in the regular army. His services and qualifications are eminently deserving of this recognition.

In making these recommendations I do not wish the claims of General G. M. Dodge for promotion forgotten, but recommend his name to be sent in at the same time. I would also ask to have General Wright assigned to the command of the Sixth Army Corps. I would further ask the confirmation of General Humphreys to the rank of major-general. General Meade has more than met my most sanguine expectations. He and Sherman are the fittest officers for large commands I have come in contact with. If their services can be rewarded by promotion to the rank of major-generals in the regular army the honor would be worthily bestowed, and I would feel personally gratified. I would not like to see one of these promotions at this time without seeing both.

 U.S. GRANT,
Lieutenant-General.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 36, Part 2 (Serial No. 68), p. 695; George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 196

No comments: