Saturday, May 23, 2015

Colonel John Sedgwick to Governor Edwin D. Morgan, November 16, 1861


Headquarters Sedgwick's Brigade,
Camp Near Alexandria,
November 16, 1861.
To his Excellency E. D. Morgan,
Governor of the State of New York.

Sir:

I herewith enclose returns of the 38th and 40th Regiments New York State Volunteers, as requested in your circular of the 28th ultimo. In forwarding them I take occasion to testify to your Excellency as to the fine condition and high state of discipline of these regiments. I would particularly mention the 38th, which, in my opinion, is not excelled by any volunteer regiment in the service. I would beg leave to suggest to your Excellency that in breaking up some of the many partial regimental organizations now existing in your State, it would be desirable to assign two hundred recruits to this regiment (38th), as they would be consolidated with well-drilled soldiers and under officers having experience.

I have the honor to be
Your Excellency's very obedient servant,
John Sedgwick,
Brigadier-General of Volunteers.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 33-4

No comments: