Sunday, June 7, 2015

Captain William F. Bartlett to Lieutenant-Colonel Francis W. Palfrey, May 14, 1862

Baltimore, May 14.

Delighted by the receipt of two of your pleasant letters this morning, bearing dates of the 7th, 8th, and 9th.

It comforted me to learn that “grim visaged war” had “smoothed his wrinkled front” even a little; and that you were comparatively comfortable, and positively in good spirits.

I was very anxious to hear from you after I heard that Sedgwick's Division had been engaged at West Point. Tell Arthur that I received his letter of the 8th yesterday.

You are right in supposing that I am made as comfortable as is possible; everything imaginable is done for my convenience and gratification. But they can't occupy my mind so that it won't turn southward with a longing, homesick feeling, mingled with a vain regret at being snatched away just at the moment when we were about to see something of glorious and victorious war.

I take hardly any interest in the war news now, excepting that which immediately concerns you. I dread positively to hear of a great victory, as it seems to put narrower limits to the time that I must get well in, if I would be “in at the death.” I am far, mind you, from complaining of my lot. I think I am indeed fortunate in making so successful a recovery, and in reaching such delightful quarters. But, still it is hard to banish the feeling, that I was taken away without having effected anything, and at a time when every one was most needed at his post. . . .

With a great deal of love, I am always
Yours,
Frank.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 48-9

No comments: