Monday, July 13, 2015

Diary of Colonel William F. Bartlett: Wednesday, May 20, 1863

Got up at five. Could hardly stand. The regiment started. Dr. Winsor begged me not to go. The carriage which Colonel Chapin was to send did not come. Dr. W. rode on to see Colonel Chapin, and find out if it was coming. Meanwhile I got on my horse and started. I had got out about a mile when I met the Doctor coming back. He said the carriage was broken, but would be along soon; made me get off and go into the nearest house and rest. I waited and waited hours, and then got word that the wagon had by some mistake gone on, and was by this time with the train. There was nothing to be done but go home or keep on horseback. I resolved to try the latter, and go as far as I could. It was now the very heat of the day. I seemed to feel better, and kept on to the Bayou Montesino of historic renown. I stopped at Mr. Pike's house, where I was received very cordially. I stayed to dinner, and passed the whole day there very pleasantly. About four, a man came with the buggy for me; he had been looking everywhere; Colonel Chapin had sent him back, not to return without me. So Steadman rode Billy and led Ned; and, having bade good-by to my kind friends (though rebels), we started on our long ride. The dust was several inches deep. We reached the regiment, encamped in a beautiful spot, about dark. The hearty cheers which they gave when they saw me come into camp were pleasing. They had been very blue all day, the officers said, and kept saying, “If we only had the Colonel along!” I had a pretty good sleep, and felt pretty well, considering the Doctor had said I would have a high fever if I attempted to come.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 63-4

No comments: