Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Samuel Gridley Howe to Charles Sumner, Saturday, November 7, 1846

New York, Saturday, November 7th, 1846.

My Dear Sumner: — I am grieved by learning that you are ill in body, but more grieved by knowing that you are sick at heart. Some would suppose that greater indifference to the opinions of others, contempt for the revilings of the bad and carelessness about the criticisms of anybody, would indicate greater independence of spirit and moral heroism than you exhibit. But those who know you (and all will by and by) know that you are now making greater sacrifices to your principles than you would by throwing away fortune and station and hopes. You are sacrificing what is to you dearer than life or fortune or fame, the social regard of those whom you so love as friends. Our fathers pledged their lives, fortunes and honour in support of their cause; you are doing more than they did in the way of sacrifice, and I would not wish you were less affected in spirit, because you would then be less warm and true in your affections.

I should have thought you a braver man had you stood to the nomination1 that was forced upon you; but I had not the heart to urge you to do so, because I saw you suffering torture. During your whole course in this matter I have watched you closely, and have learned to respect and admire you even more than before. It has never been my lot to know a man more perfectly loyal to truth, right and humanity than you have been. Your efforts and sacrifices cannot be lost, for if no other good comes out of them this will come, that your example will kindle and keep alive high purposes in the souls of hundreds, of whom I am one. You are my junior by many years, but to you I owe many of the feeble aspirations which I feel, for progress upwards and onwards in my spiritual nature.

In regard to our present struggle with the powers that be, I have a sure instinct that we shall be beaten, that we shall suffer what will be called a disgraceful defeat; we shall be laughed to scorn for our futile attempt. Nevertheless, so help me God, I would rather be in my position, though not two men vote for me, than in Winthrop's. I would rather be advocated and supported by your voice and sympathy than by the eloquence and the endorsement of every Whig orator in Massachusetts, with the intellectual giant of a Webster at their head.

But mail time approaches. I must close by wishing you, dear Sumner, all the peace of mind and all the enjoyment of which your noble virtue and disinterestedness make you so worthy. . . .

Julia sympathizes deeply with you, and is learning to love you nearly as well as your friend,

S. G. HOWE.
______________

1 For Congress.

SOURCE: Laura E. Richards, Editor, Letters and Journals of Samuel Gridley Howe, Volume 2, p. 251-3

No comments: