Sunday, February 9, 2014

John Brown to Owen Brown Sr., April 2, 1847

SPRINGFIELD, MASS., April 2, 1847.

DEAR FATHER, — Your very kind as well as rational letter I received last evening. I trust I do in some measure realize that only a few, a very few, years will of necessity bring to me a literal accomplishment of the sayings of the Preacher. I am quite sensible of the truth of your remark, that my family are quite as well off as though we possessed millions. I hope we may not be left to a feeling of ingratitude, or greediness of gain; and I feel unconscious of a desire to become rich. I hope my motive for exerting myself is higher. I feel no inclination to move my family to Springfield on account of any change that I am itching for, and think it very doubtful whether I ever conclude on it as the best course. My only motive would be to have them with me, if I continue in my present business, which I am by no means attached to. I seem to get along middling well, and hope to return in a short time. Wrote Jeremiah some days since. I shall pay ten cents very cheerfully to hear that you are alive and well, at any time; and should not grudge to pay more for such kind and ever seasonable pointing me to the absolute vanity of this world's treasures, as well as the solemn future which is before me. It affords me great satisfaction to get a letter from you at this period of your life, so handsomely written, so well worded, and so exactly in point, both as to manner and (what is much more) matter. I intend to preserve it carefully.

Your affectionate son,
JOHN BROWN.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 22-3

No comments: