Sunday, March 30, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, May 21, 1862

HEADQUARTERS 54TH REGT. O. V. INF.,
CAMP NO. 7 BEFORE CORINTH, May 21, 1862.

I am still safe through constant skirmishing. The great battle has not come off, but the premonitions peal upon the ear every minute. Both armies are stubborn and brave. We shall see and take part in the greatest battle of the age, unless the enemy evacuate Corinth, which I do not expect. Don't let apprehension for this battle give you pain or fear for my safety. Scores of bullets have whistled close to my ear since I wrote you three days ago, and I am still unharmed. I have been in the din of conflict and thick of the fight by day and I may almost say by night. The roar of cannon and rattling of musketry are constantly in my ear, but I have been preserved, and the same good God will continue to uphold me.

I rather think this day Stephen has deserted me. He is tired of war, and latterly has become very useless. I attach but little blame to those who having the power leave this field — unless stimulated by patriotism or hope of glory. Deprivation, disease, and suffering are the lot of the mass, and it requires powerful nerves and great fortitude to stand up against that which the soldier has to endure. One tithe of his sufferings, aside from fatigue and exposure, will never be told.

The weather is now cold and rainy, but has been intensely hot. The insect and worm tribe are infinite in number, and the little wood tick is always at work under your skin. I am often compelled to sleep on the bare ground, and without a tent. Such a night is a precursor to myriads of them. My health, however, is as good as that of the general average about me. I feel pretty well when I get good food, not so well without it. Good beef, good mutton, good bread, brandy, ale, and wine is what the human system wants, and these I recommend to you. They are better than all the doctor's stuffs.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 204-5

No comments: