Thursday, August 28, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, December 30, 1864

Headquarters Military Division Of The Mississippi,
Nashville, Tenn., Dec. 30, 1864.

I was inexpressibly gratified by the reception your affectionate letter of 26th inst., handed me to-day. It came just in time, for I have my orders, and am about leaving for Eastport, Mississippi, via Paducah, and a steamboat is in waiting to carry me down the Cumberland and up the Tennessee. I shall debark close to the old battle-ground of Shiloh.

I shall probably take command of a division made up from my old division and another in Smith's corps. After a little there will be a new organization entire of the army here, and I shall hope to be recognized.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 374

No comments: