Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, February 7, 1863

February 7th.

This has been a beautiful spring day. I have been thinking lately about gardening. If I were at home, it would be time for me to begin to prepare the hot-bed. Don't you remember what interest we used to take in our hot-bed? If we should be privileged to return to our old home, I expect we would find many changes. An ever-kind Providence is showering blessings down upon me. Yesterday Colonel M. G. Harman and Mr. William J. Bell, jun., of Staunton, presented me with an excellent horse. As yet I have not mounted him, but I saw another person ride him, and I hope soon to have that pleasure myself.  . . . Just to think our baby is nearly three months old. Does she notice and laugh much? You have never told me how much she looks like her mother. I tell you, I want to know how she looks. If you could hear me talking to my esposa in the mornings and evenings, it would make you laugh, I'm sure. It is funny the way I talk to her when she is hundreds of miles away.  . . . Jim has returned from Lexington, and brought a letter from “Cy”,1 asking permission to take unto himself a wife, to which I intend to give my consent, provided you or his mother do not object.  . . . I am so much concerned about mother's health as to induce me to recommend a leave of absence for Joseph. I send this note by him, and also send the baby a silk handkerchief. I have thought that as it is brightly colored, it might attract her attention. Remember, it is her first present from her father, and let me know if she notices it.2
_______________

1 A negro servant.
2 This handkerchief has ever since been sacredly preserved as a precious relic.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 415-6

No comments: