Thursday, December 25, 2014

Major Rutherford B. Hayes to Sophia Birchard Hayes, September 22, 1861

Cross Lanes, Virginia, Sunday, September 22, 1861.

Dear Mother: — . . . We are waiting for good weather to go in pursuit of the enemy. Unless some calamity occurs to us at Washington, so as to enable the Rebels to reinforce Wise and Floyd, I do not think they will fight us again. We shall probably not pursue more than forty miles to Lewisburg or White Sulphur Springs, and then our campaign closes for the season. You see, probably, that I am appointed judge-advocate for the department of the Ohio. This includes the State of Ohio, and, should I continue to hold the place, I shall probably be required to go to Columbus and Cincinnati in the course of my duties. But I shall get out of it, I hope, in a month or so. It will separate me from my regiment a good deal, and the increase of pay, about forty or fifty dollars per month, and increase of honor, perhaps, is no compensation for this separation. I have acted in all the cases which have arisen in General Rosecrans' army. I shall be with my regiment soon again, I hope. While the general is in the same army with them, we are together, of course. I am constantly interrupted. I am today in command of the regiment, Colonel Matthews being unwell, so I am perpetually interrupted. Good-bye.

Affectionately,
R. B. Hayes.
Mrs. Sophia Hayes.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 101

No comments: