Saturday, August 7, 2010

Isaac Rhodes

Company B.

The subject of this sketch was born the 1st of February, 1822, in the county of Kent, England. "Father emigrated to America in August. 1837; I came to Iowa in October. 1853. When President Lincoln called for three months' men in April. 1861, I enlisted for that service. There was a company raised and officered, but we were rather behind, for when the company was tendered the State the regiment was full, and that left us out. Then a number of us, on May 15th, enrolled into what was termed the Hawkeye Rangers, and when the order was issued for a cavalry regiment our company was tendered and accepted, and was known as Company B. I was appointed color bearer, and carried the company banner till the regiment was organized into battalions. The guidon had to be carried by a sergeant, and that caused me to lay the company banner by. In July, 1862. I was appointed chief blacksmith of the regiment, and held that position till the 31st of March, 1864, when I was detailed to work in the Little Rock (Arkansas) Arsenal, in the armor department, under the command of Lieutenant Thomas D. Witt, Chief Ordnance Officer, and was there till August, when I was relieved from duty, and with the detachment of non-veterans came to Davenport, Iowa, where I was mustered out of the United States service on the 10th day of September, 1864."

SOURCE: Charles H. Lothrop, A History Of The First Regiment Iowa Cavalry Veteran Volunteers, p. 330-1

No comments: