Friday, February 2, 2018

Lieutenant-General Ulysses S. Grant to General Robert E. Lee, April 9, 1865

HEADQUARTERS ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES,                      
April 9, 1865.
General R. E. LEE,
Commanding C. S. Army:

Your note of this date is but this moment (11.50 a.m.) received. In consequence of my having passed from the Richmond and Lynchburg road to the Farmville and Lynchburg road I am at this writing about four miles west of Walker's Church, and will push forward to the front for the purpose of meeting you. Notice sent to me on this road where you wish the interview to take place will meet me.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
U. S. GRANT,
Lieutenant-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I Volume 46, Part 3 (Serial No. 97), p. 665

No comments: