Thursday, September 20, 2018

Last Will and Testament of James Monroe [Extract], May 16, 1831

Having given my estate called Ashfield to my daughter Elizabeth, which estate cost me about six thousand dollars, it is my will and intention to pay my daughter Maria that sum, to put them on an equality in the first instance; and then divide my property remaining after paying my just debts equally between them, my said daughters; with respect to the works in which I am engaged and leave behind, I commit the care and publication of them to my son in law Samuel L. Gouvernieur, giving to him one third of the profits arising therefrom for his trouble in preparing them for publication, one third to my daughter Maria and one third to my daughter Elizabeth.

I appoint and constitute my son in law Samuel L. Gouvernieur my sole and exclusive executor of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all others, giving him full powers to carry it into effect. I recommend my daughter E. K. Hay to the fraternal care and protection of my son in law Samuel L. Gouvernieur.

james Monroe.

SOURCE: Virgil McClure Harris, Ancient, Curious and Famous Wills, p. 408

No comments: