Thursday, December 24, 2020

Jonathan Worth to Colonel William K. Lane, October 12, 1861

ASHEBORO, Oct. 12th, 1861.

The Sheriff of this County has just been informed by my friend I. H. Foust that under instructions from Richmond you will appoint the Sheriffs or County tax collectors your subordinates in collecting the Confederate direct tax, wherever they will accept, and give bond and comply with such regulations as may be prescribed. Our Sheriff directs me to say to you that he will accept and comply with the requirements. I have not seen the regulations prescribed by the Secretary of the Treasury under the 19th Sec. of the Act. The Sheriff desires me to draw up his bond, etc. Will you do me the favor to send me a copy of the regulations, or refer me, if they have been published, to the paper in which I may find them?

SOURCE: J. G. de Roulhac Hamilton, Editor, The Correspondence of Jonathan Worth, Volume 1, p. 158-9

No comments: