Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Captain Charles Wright Wills: January 9, 1865

Green Square, Savannah, Ga. 
January 9, 1865. 

Thinking we for once in the service had a chance to enjoy quiet life, two of our number were sent to Hilton Head for a full supply of men's apparel for the outer man, and of refreshments substantial and fancy for the inner. 

They returned to-day just in time to receive marching orders. The men's clothing was packed in valises, and all the eatables sold to parties who remain here, save one barrel of Irish potatoes. We leave to-morrow morning. Major Willison's resignation was accepted to-day, and this evening the officers unanimously agreed to recommend me to fill the vacancy. There was not a hint towards any one else. I take it as a high compliment. I am the youngest captain in the regiment, and this recommendation made by men whom I have campaigned with for two and a half years, and not one of whom has been accused of failing to do his duty in the service, makes me feel a little proud. I will value the recommendation more than the commission, if I get it. 

SOURCE: Charles Wright Wills, Army Life of an Illinois Soldier, p. 335-6

1 comment:

Queen of Swords Inverted said...

Interesting thoughts I really enjoyed your blog