Sunday, July 25, 2021

Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, October 25, 1864

CAMP NEAR STRASBURG, VIRGINIA, October 25, 1864.

MY DARLING:—  . . . .We expect to remain here some time yet. I suspect that apprehension is felt at Washington that the Rebels will try to get up a raid into Maryland or Pennsylvania to create a panic about the time of the Presidential election, and that we are kept here to prevent it. I can't think that after the complete defeat of Early's Army on the 19th, any serious attempt will be made to drive us back. I regard the fighting on this line as at an end for this year. I suspect that about the 10th [of] November we shall move north, and I hope go into winter quarters soon afterwards.

We are having fine weather. Camped on a wooded ridge, we are very comfortable. This life is a good deal like that of the fall of 1861 when General Rosecrans' Army was camped around Tompkins' Farm. The men were then very sickly. Now there is no sickness. We now talk of our killed and wounded. There is however a very happy feeling. Those who escape regret of course the loss of comrades and friends, but their own escape and safety to some extent modifies their feelings.

Laura has a daughter! I must write her a congratulatory note. But how much I prefer a boy. Well stocked as our house is with boys, I almost rejoice that our last is not a girl.

My regards and love to all the good friends who are so kind to you. Kiss all the boys.

Affectionately ever, your
R.

P.S. - Had a good letter from Force. He is returning to the Georgia front.

MRS. HAYES.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 529-30

No comments: