Saturday, May 13, 2023

Lieutenant-General William T. Sherman to General Ulysses S. Grant, February 14, 1868

[TELEGRAM.]

WASHINGTON, Feb. 14, 1868,    
FROM ST. LOUIS, Feb. 14, 1868.
TO GENERAL U. S. GRANT,
Commander U. S. Army:

Your despatch informing me that the order for the Atlantic Division was issued, and that I was assigned to its command, is received.

I was in hopes I had escaped the danger, and now, were I prepared, should resign on the spot, as it requires no foresight to predict such must be the inevitable result in the end.

I will make one more desperate effort by mail, which please await.

W. T. SHERMAN, Lieutenant-General.

SOURCE: Rachel Sherman Thorndike, Editor, The Sherman Letters: Correspondence Between General and Senator Sherman from 1837 to 1891, p. 306

No comments: