Saturday, January 20, 2024

John W. Fink to Senator Robert M. T. Hunter, November 15, 1852

WARRENTON, [Va.], November 17th, 1852.

DEAR SIR: We wish to urge your claims in the Star as Secretary of State, but learn that you have said, you would not accept any cabinet appointment, which I suppose is mere rumor. I should [like] to have your views on the subject, which shall be confidential. We will in this weeks paper bring your name forward, and if you would accept an appointment press your claims.

We intend to urge your claims as our next candidate for the Presidency, and think a place in the cabinet would make you more prominent before the next Convention. If I did not think so I would for you to remain in the Senate, as I do not believe your place can be filled.

SOURCE: Charles Henry Ambler, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1916, in Two Volumes, Vol. II, Correspondence of Robert M. T. Hunter (1826-1876), p. 152-3

No comments: