Thursday, March 14, 2024

Lucius B. Peck to Senator Daniel S. Dickinson, January 24, 1853

CHELSEA, January 24, 1853.

MY DEAR SIR—Your favor of the 15th instant reached me at this place this evening, where I have been for the past week, attending court.

The death of Mr. Upham was most unexpected to us all, though Mrs. U. had a presentiment that he would not recover. She reached Washington in company with her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Langdon, the Tuesday before his death. Annette remained in Montpelier. They returned last Saturday, but I have not seen them.

*          *          *          *

Your kind and friendly letter, addressed to me at Burlington, was forwarded to me from that place, and received some days after its date. I owe you an apology for not acknowledging its reception at an earlier day; but as it did not call for an immediate answer I have permitted professional engagements to delay a reply. Your approval of my conduct, in a somewhat trying and delicate matter, has given me great pleasure, and your letter will be preserved as evidence of the good opinion of one whose approbation and friendship any man may justly be proud of.

The recent severe domestic affliction of Gen. Pierce1 has, to some extent, checked cabinet speculations; but I still believe, what I have believed, as well as hoped, ever since his election, that wise counsels will yet prevail, and that you will occupy that position which you so richly merit. I cannot believe that those who are raising Heaven and earth to defeat you will be permitted to triumph in their unjust and unwise attack.

Mrs. Peek is still in Washington, slowly improving in health. She still holds in kind remembrance yourself and family, and often speaks of you all in her letters.

Make my kind regards to your wife and daughters, and believe me,

Most cordially your friend,
LUCIUS B. PEEK.
_______________

1 Editor’s Note: The President-elect and family were traveling by train from Boston on January 6, 1853 when their car derailed near Andover, Massachusetts and rolled down an embankment. Both Franklin and Jane Pierce survived the crash but their only surviving child, 11 year old Benjamin, was crushed to death and nearly decapitated.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 474-5

No comments: