Monday, September 7, 2026

Diary of Lucy Larcom, November 26, 1861

The last day of school; my classes all examined, and to-morrow we scatter, to gather ourselves together again in two weeks. I am not sure whether I like or dislike these frequent changes; on the whole I think I like them; for they break up the monotony, and then one does get so totally glued to the manner of school life: there is no better name for the cohesive power that makes us one household for the time. I do not believe it possible (for me, at least, and I doubt whether it is for any woman) to have quite a home feeling, among the many living together, in a place like this. There is not expansive power enough in me to take in all.

SOURCE: Daniel Dulany Addison, Lucy Larcom: Life, Letters, and Diary, p. 114

No comments: