Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Major General George B. McClellan to Abraham Lincoln, May 26, 1862 – 7:30 p.m.

CAMP NEAR NEW BRIDGE,
May 26, 18627.30 p.m.

Have arranged to carry out your last orders. We are quietly closing in upon the enemy preparatory to the last struggle. Situated as I am, I feel forced to take every possible precaution against disaster and to secure my flanks against the probably superior force in front of me. My arrangements for to-morrow are very important, and, if successful, will leave me free to strike on the return of the force detached.

GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.

His Excellency ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 1 (Serial No. 12), p. 33

No comments: