Friday, October 18, 2019

Brigadier-General Ulysses S. Grant to Flag Officer Andrew H. Foote, February 15, 1862

CAMP NEAR FORT DONELSON, February 15, 1862.
ANDREW H. FOOTE.
Commanding Officer Gunboat Flotilla :

If all the gunboats that can will immediately make their appearance to the enemy it may secure us a victory. Otherwise all may be defeated. A terrible conflict ensued in my absence, which has demoralized a portion of my command, and I think the enemy is much more so. If the gunboats do not show themselves, it will reassure the enemy and still further demoralize our troops. I must order a charge to save appearances. I do not expect the gunboats to go into action, but to make appearance and throw a few shells at long range.

U.S. GRANT,            
Brigadier-General, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 7 (Serial No. 7), p. 618

No comments: