Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Sardis Birchard, August 14, 1864

SHENANDOAH VALLEY, CAMP NEAR STRASBURG, VIRGINIA, 
August 14, 1864. 

DEAR UNCLE: – You see we are again up the famous Valley; General Sheridan commands the army; General Early and Breckinridge are in our front; they have retired before us thus far; whether it is the purpose to follow and force a battle, I don't know; the effect is to relieve our soil from Rebels. 

My health is excellent. Our troops are improving under the easy marches. We shall get well rested doing what the Sixth and Nineteenth Corps of the Potomac ([who] are with us) regard as severe campaigning. 

I have heard nothing from home since I saw Lucy on 10th [of] July. Direct to me: “First Brigade, Second Division, Army of West Virginia, via Harpers Ferry.” 

Sincerely yours, 
R. B. HAYES 
S. BIRCHARD.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 494

No comments: