Monday, August 1, 2022

Colonel John P. Murray to Brigadier-General Felix K. Zollicoffer, October 22, 1862

CAMP RED SULPHUR, October 22, 1861.
General F. K. ZOLLICOFFER:

DEAR SIR: I am in receipt of yours of 16th instant. I am much pleased to learn that you are moving in direction of the interior of Kentucky. We are to-day within 32 miles of Burkesville; will reach and capture the Federal forces there by the 25th of this instant. We will then move to Albany by the 26th of this instant. Will you inform me of your position at Albany, as I will wait at that point for orders from you? I have no fears of our success at Burkesville. In the mean time our forces will prevent the Federal forces from capturing your supplies at Jamestown. Yours shall be strictly confidential.

I am, your obedient servant,
JOHN P. MURRAY,        
Colonel Twenty-eighth Regiment Tennessee Volunteers.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 213

No comments: