Wednesday, August 17, 2022

General Albert Sidney Johnston to Samuel Cooper, October 21, 1861

BOWLING GREEN, October 21, 1861.

General Zollicoffer telegraphs to-day from London, Ky., as follows:

One Ohio regiment said to be 12 miles distant; another regiment of the enemy a few miles beyond. I will feel of them to-day with two regiments and some cavalry. My force here is about 5,400.

The above is the dispatch. From intelligent gentlemen I learned the day before yesterday that 6,000 men at Camp Dick Robinson had an advanced force of 4,000 towards Cumberland Gap under Garrard and from the camp stretching back to Cincinnati 10,000 more. I have no means of adding to Zollicoffer's force at present, important as I think it.

A. S. JOHNSTON,        
General.
S. COOPER,
        Adjutant-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 209

No comments: