Thursday, September 24, 2026

Governor Rutherford B. Hayes to J. Irving Brooks, March 1, 1870

COLUMBUS, OHIO, March 1, 1870.

MY DEAR SIR:— I think as you do on the librarian question, and unless something not anticipated turns up before the appointment is made, my action will be as you advise. I also agree with you perfectly on the spoils doctrine. This you would know if you had read my last inaugural. I am glad you do not bore yourself with such reading generally, but you are in for it now, as I shall send you a copy. I too mean to be out of politics. The ratification of the Fifteenth Amendment gives me the boon of equality before the law, terminates my enlistment, and discharges me cured.

Sincerely,
R. B. HAYES.
HONORABLE J. IRVING BROOKS,
        Salem, Ohio.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 3, p. 90

No comments: