NEW YORK, March 28, 1856.
MY DEAR CRITTENDEN,—More than a month ago I gave Major Crittenden a six months' leave of absence. Observing that he spoke of asking permission to visit Europe, I forwarded the papers, and requested that he might be indulged. Such indulgence, under the army regulations, can only be granted by the President. During the last twelve months but one, in some twenty applications, has been granted.
The day that I received your letter (inclosing the Kentucky resolution) I chanced, at dinner, to mention the compliment, in the fullness of my heart, to another guest, when he instantly suggested that the New York legislature might be induced to follow the lead, and begged me to send the resolution, with a paper of notes. The result is, that Mr. Crosby, in the Senate, yesterday, brought forward the subject, and I have letters this morning saying that the movement will succeed.
God bless old Kentucky, and God bless the friend that put her legislature in mind of doing me this great service!
On reflection, I may add that Captain Walker, of the Rifles, is now in Europe, and Colonel Irving's request to be allowed to cross the Atlantic has been refused.
Why don't you and Mrs. Crittenden go abroad this summer? If you do not, you must both come North.
SOURCE: Ann Mary Butler Crittenden Coleman, Editor, The Life of John J. Crittenden: With Selections from His Correspondence and Speeches, Vol. 2, pp. 117-8
No comments:
Post a Comment