BOSTON, April 25, 1856.
MY DEAR SIR,—I write to thank you, first, for the well-merited castigation you were good enough to inflict on the senator from Ohio. There is an accepted time for everything, and you selected the right moment to annihilate “Ben Allen." Our people are delighted; the charm of the thing is in the quiet dignity with which your remarks are characterized. You have done many good things in your day. I deem this last, however, among your best efforts, besides doing high service to the country. And now I wish to thank you for Frémont's Journal. I am very happy to possess it. I wish you all a safe deliverance from this session of Congress, and remain, dear sir, most faithfully,
SOURCE: Ann Mary Butler Crittenden Coleman, Editor, The Life of John J. Crittenden: With Selections from His Correspondence and Speeches, Vol. 2, p. 119
No comments:
Post a Comment