Monday, August 10, 2015

Colonel William F. Bartlett to Harriett Plummer Bartlett, March 4, 1863

March 4.

This morning orders came for a review in “heavy marching order,” by General Augur. I cautioned the men to “polish up,” and at half past two we turned out, as fine a looking line as you often see. The men stood very steadily, and marched very well. After going back to camp and leaving the knapsacks, etc., I took them out to practice with blank cartridges. At first they were nervous, and did poorly, but after I had given them a very severe talking to, I tried them again at charging in line, and they did it splendidly. Their fire by battalion was like one gun. I then formed a hollow square, and fired from all sides. My horse, inside the square, behaved beautifully. I don't care to see any better drilling than they did after my lecture. After we came into camp I closed column and explained to them that if they would only do as well as that in real action, keep cool, and not fire until they were sure they had the word from me, no matter how near the enemy approached — when they did fire, aim at their opponents' knees (if near), — there was no enemy in the world that could stand against them, etc.

I hope they will remember all I said. They promised, and were very much excited, and cheered loudly for the drill. There is nothing more important than to accustom men to firing, and getting used to the noise. What I taught them this afternoon was of more use to them, and will do them more good than all the brigade drills under Colonel Chapin, with unheard of and useless movements.

This regiment is so entirely dependent upon me alone, I hope I shan't get hit, for I dread to think what would become of them if I should get put hors du combat.

General Dwight has been trying to get my regiment in his brigade; he wrote to Banks about it, but Augur won't consent to lose it.

I hasten to get this in a mail which leaves for New Orleans to-day.

With much love,
W. F. B.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 67-8

No comments: