Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: September 16, 1861

pleasant Hill, September 16, 1861.

I got a letter from you this morning dated Saturday, and full of regret that I don't get your letters. Why, I do. Only they come irregularly. Since the gap caused by your cold, I have had my regular journal to cheer and alleviate my life. So don't be discouraged, and above all, don't think that you are writing to the Dead Letter Office. You need not say so to –––, but it would overtax my magnanimity to write to any one in England our news. Their fog must envelop them. ‘Can't understand affairs in this country,’ is it? They don't try. It is a plain case enough. The South has been organizing a villanous conspiracy for two years. It is suddenly born, full-armed, as Minerva. We are just organizing our crushing power to put it down. Let England wait patiently, and we will show them that we are a nation, after all. Till then it is idle to attempt to persuade their darkness into light.

Our court-martial goes on bravely. We hope to get through to-morrow, or next day. But the cases accumulate so rapidly in proportion to our speed of trial, that we do not get the docket clear yet. I was prevented, yesterday, from going on a secret and confidential duty by the fact of the court-martial. If the telegram gives an account of any arrests in the vicinage of Frederick, you may know that nothing but the fact of my being actually engaged in another service prevented my taking charge of a part of that enterprise. I cannot properly speak more plainly of the matter, but events will probably illustrate my meaning, and you will see that we mean to have Maryland under our thumb completely. 1 confess that I should have enjoyed the duty that I was likely to engage in; but a soldier has no choice. Every vigorous move of the Federal authority does good. We are in the midst of traitors, and indeed there is no loyalty except conditional loyalty in the Slave States. The Baltimore arrests are a capital move. Our life is excited by rumors of a movement by the enemy. I suppose the fact is thus. If the Rebels attack, they will cross between us and Harper's Ferry. Any movement by them will threaten our division, which I hope they mean to strengthen. The circumstance of McClellan's turning his attention to us indicates this as his opinion. I am slow to believe that they will cross anywhere. If they do, we shall have to be the first to oppose them.

A direct attack on Washington cannot offer them any attraction. I can imagine how strong the pressure is upon them to make a move, and yet I think they have not the power to make it, with any chance of success. We shall see. The sun has come out glaringly, and now we have a threatening thunder-storm coming.

The coffee-roaster is lovely, and wins golden opinions. At last, also, we have tea, and, indeed, we have waked up our commissary to something like activity. . . . .

I am glad Charley is going to the war. It will make a man of him. Love to all.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 103-5

No comments: