Monday, July 6, 2015

Richard Hackley* to John Albert Broadus, November 5, 1860

UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA, Nov. 5, 1860.

My Dear Master: As I feel like writing a few lines, and to show you that I think of you very often, I take the present opportunity of doing so. I am quite well now, thank the Lord, and we are all so far as I know, and I hope when these lines reach you that you and yours may be quite well. I heard from Mr. Saint Clair's yesterday — all well. My dear master, I hear much of the coming election. I hope that Mr. Lincoln or no such man may ever take his seat in the presidential chair. I do most sincerely hope that the Union may be preserved. I hear through the white gentlemen here that South Carolina will leave the Union in case he is elected. I do hope she won't leave, as that would cause much disturbance and perhaps fighting. Why can't the Union stand like it is now? Well do I recollect when I drove a wagon in the old wars, carrying things for the army; but I hope we shall have no more wars, but let peace be in all the land.

I have been wanting to go up to see my wife, but have not been able, but will do so soon, I hope. Next year I should like to live nearer her. With my best respects to you and mistress, I am as ever, your devoted servant.
_______________

* Servant of John A. Broadus, the well-known “Uncle Dick.”

SOURCE: Archibald Thomas Robertson, Life and Letters of John Albert Broadus, p. 177

No comments: