Sunday, July 5, 2015

Catharine Maria Sedgwick to Catharine Sedgwick Minot, December 7, 1860

New York, December 7, 1860.

Never, in my lifetime, have we been at so interesting a point in our political history; and if you and William did not talk on the volcanic topic before breakfast and after supper, I should think the blood of your fathers had lost all moral vitality in your veins. Oh, for the spirit of Wisdom and of Love! But alas! what hope of it, or what desert of it! I suppose you will think it quite consonant to my cowardly character if I tell you that I feel most deeply interested in the poor mothers and maidens that are trembling in the midst of their servile enemies. As for that bullying State of South Carolina, one would not much care. As C. (cousin C.) says,”Let the damned little thing go!” or as C. B. (two of the most humane men I know) says, “Plow them under, plow them under! It has been a little wasp from the beginning!”

SOURCE: Mary E. Dewey, Editor, Life and Letters of Catherine M. Sedgwick, p. 387

No comments: