Sunday, July 5, 2015

Bayard Taylor to George William Curtis, October 31, 1861

Cedarcroft, Kennett Square, Pa., October 31,1861.

I hoped to have fallen in with you when I was in New York t'other day, but my stay was so short that I could not go down to the Island.

How are you, and how are wife and children? I am living here in comparative seclusion, and know the world only by the newspapers. But I see that you are to lecture in Philadelphia, which is a great satisfaction to me, and I presume it is a greater to you. Who could have foreseen the changes of this year? I do not despair of lecturing in Richmond before I die.

Now, my object in writing is twofold: first, and most important, to ask you to come out here for a day or two, if you possibly can, when you lecture in Philadelphia; you shall have pen, ink, and silence, if you need 'em. Secondly, what is to be the state of our business this winter? I get precious few invitations, and from widely scattered places. What is your experience? Am I, the individual, passed over, or has the institution “suspended”? As I have no other dependence for this winter, I am curious to know what calculations to make. (Tribune dividends and copyrights silent inter arma.)

I am writing a lecture on the “American People, in their Social and Political Aspects,” being sufficiently cosmopolitan in my experience to judge objectively, — at least, I so flatter myself. What is your subject? I wish you could give us a lecture here, but the place is rather too small in these times. Our young men are all away fighting. My wife sends love to you. . . .

SOURCE: Marie Hansen-Taylor and Horace E. Scudder, Editors, Life and Letters of Bayard Taylor, Volume 1, p. 382

No comments: