Tuesday, January 4, 2022

William T. Sherman to the Board of Supervisors Seminary of Learning, March 1, 1860

ALEXANDRIA, March 1, 1860.

Sir: As I have advised you in advance I find myself so placed, as to require me thus to place my resignation in your possession. That no misapprehension may ever occur, I now assert that I am well pleased at all that has occurred here, and that I believe this institution must prosper, as long as the parents of cadets sustain the authority in the maintenance of good discipline. But I am offered a most lucrative post at London, which is so pressed on my acceptance by my family, who depend on me for support, that I cannot disregard their claims. For this reason and no other I tender my resignation, only asking that I may be relieved of duty here about April 1, next. I submit herewith an alternate proposition.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 182-3

No comments: