Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Pierre G. T. Beauregard to William T. Sherman, February 23, 1860

NEW ORLEANS, Feb. 23, 1860.

MY DEAR MAJOR: Allow me to introduce to you my nephew, Master Stephen R. Proctor, who desires to become a member (a distinguished one I hope) of your Military Academy. If he could be put in a separate room with my son René, his cousin, without any violation of your internal arrangements, I would consider it a great favor to both of them, as the one would have to remain silent when the other wished to study. Otherwise may I request you to select him such roommates as you would give to one of your own sons.

I have written to Capt. G. W. Smith the substance of our conversation of yesterday, with hope that he might be willing to become your successor for he would be the best one that I know of, otherwise he may be able to recommend one to us whose claims he might be happy to support, but I must request you not to be in too great a hurry about carrying out your intention of resigning.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 182

No comments: