Tuesday, January 4, 2022

William T. Sherman to Ellen Ewing Sherman, February 21, 1860

 NEW ORLEANS, LA., February 21, 1860.

I write to General Graham that the day has arrived, and that as the case now stands I must choose London. I really feel sorry. General Graham's whole soul was rapt up in the success of this college, and he seems to feel that I am essential to it. Would I accept he would make up the difference from his own purse; indeed he made such an offer to the governor but I would not listen to it. The success of the institution depends on the parents of the boys.

There are many good men to replace me but none seems to be at hand. General Graham almost associated a Providence with us, the deep affection for you by his sister, the confidence in me by his dead brother, united with the accident of my application made him believe it, a special Providence; and now he sees that Providence don't control it. But enough of this. 

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 180-1

No comments: