Tuesday, January 4, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, February 21, 1860

NEW ORLEANS, LA., Feb. 21, 1860.

DEAR GENERAL: Dr. Smith has finished his report and bill, which though a medley of old and new ideas, maybe falling within the parable of new cloth in old garments, I was forced to assent to as the best compromise. As it stands, “A Seminary of Learning and Military Academy,” possessed in fact of military organization, it may (by keeping that idea clear and distinct before you) be made to fulfill your sanguine hopes.

At all events I see no reason why it should not. The report and bill were to be printed, and as the senate had dispersed to Thursday I came down to see if I could not pick up a tailor and shoemaker — and pay up a few small bills owed here. I have paid the bills but as yet have not heard of a tailor or shoemaker willing to come. I must return to Baton Rouge to-morrow, but will in the meantime continue to look for tailors who do not seem indigenous to your otherwise fertile soil.

I have also opened communication with Mrs. Sherman, by telegraph, and she is so strongly in favor of the London project that I must decide. This is my last day of grace, and I must, as the case stands, choose the London project, but as I told you I will do all I can to give you a successor better than myself, and use any influence my acquaintance with Bragg, Colonel Taylor, and others may give to secure to the Seminary all the help that this legislature can grant. I have in my mind two gentlemen, one named Trowbridge, who married in Savannah — resigned and is now in the Coast Survey Office, who graduated head of his class some ten years ago. Also Captain Stone who is now I fear in Sonora, Mexico. I have written to Buell, advising each to apply for my vacancy, and to send credentials, which however they need not tender, as their records are perfect.

If the legislature appropriate you should have a superintendent, but if it make a shabby appropriation you could so manage this term to save the cost of that officer. I propose to hold on till you can spare me, but would like to get off about April 1, so that I could spend a few days in Ohio, before again embarking in the stormy sea of finance. I confess I make this step in doubt, and the strong preference of my family is all that turns the scale in my mind. I therefore announce to you my determination, and will give you an official document as soon as I return to the Seminary.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 179-80

No comments: