Tuesday, January 4, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, March 1, 1860

 SEMINARY OF LEARNING, March 1, 1860.

SIR: I send you herewith the resignation concerning which I have already troubled you too much. Had not the relations between us become more than official I should not have complicated this move by an expression of my private views and feelings, but I believe you and all are sincere in the many expressions of respect shown me, and that you are really willing to bear a little with me, and even overlook an inconvenience that no change should occur in the organization of the academic staff at this time.

I therefore admit that personally I should prefer to remain here trusting that, in the progress of this institution, the Board of Supervisors will do all in their power to make me and my family comfortable, but I am so far from them that letters are inadequate to explain these things to them, and pressed as they are by interested parties, they remain so urgent that I am in a measure forced to comply with their claims to my protection.

Yet I have an idea, that if I could go to Ohio, I might change this naked view of the case. The salary offered me abroad is so much better than what this institution can or should offer, that they cannot for a moment make a favorable comparison; but it may be that by going to Baton Rouge, seeing that the bills reported are either the law or have sufficient probability of being so, I might in four or five days reach Ohio, and if possible return with my family by the close of March. In which [case] I should be most willing to remain and abide the fate of the Seminary, be it fully successful or otherwise. On this score I should ask no guarantee or promise of any kind, but place myself where I now am.

I am fully conscious that I may utterly fail in this move [because] our people have an utter dread of the yellow-fever and other epidemics of the South, not so much for themselves as for children, but I do believe if my family could stay here a few years, this prejudice would wear away, and then I could have that conscious faith that would enable me to devote all my time, energy, and experience to my real duty here. But you know full well how disturbing it is to reside in one place, with a family in another place ever disturbed by fears and anxieties however ill founded.

If therefore you in your individual capacity will consent to my thus leaving, I will start early next week, satisfy myself at Baton Rouge of the situation of our interests there and thence proceed to Ohio. If possible I will return with expedition bringing my family or I will send you prompt and emphatic word as to my absolute determination — all within March — and in either event I will return, to turn over my charge here to a successor. In the meantime you and others could cast about for a successor or arrange for my final departure. If this be not entirely, fully, and absolutely satisfactory I beg you will treat this as private — and put the formal resignation herewith before the Board for their final action. I need not add that I could any day close my accounts and hand my cash balance to any party appointed to receive it.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 183-5

No comments: