Tuesday, January 4, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, March 5, 1860

SEMINARY OF LEARNING, March 5, 1860.

Sir: Agreeably to the terms of your letter of the first instant I propose on tomorrow to avail myself of the permission therein contained, to visit Ohio and shall proceed to Baton Rouge, satisfy myself as to the actual state of our business at the capital, thence to New Orleans, as the speediest mode of reaching the north, thence without delay by railway to Lancaster, Ohio, which I expect to reach by the fourteenth instant. Two or five days at furthest will suffice to come to an absolutely final decision on the points heretofore explained, the result of which will be telegraphed to Governor Moore and thence sent to you. In the meantime it would be well for you and all the supervisors to do all you deem prudent in advance to select a proper person to succeed me, in the event of the vacancy occurring.

I herewith enclose you an order on S. W. Henarie with whom I deposit my accounts current in full to date. I have also caused an approximate inventory to be taken of all property, of which in the shape of books, furniture, etc., there are on hand an abundant supply for all 1860 and over.

All accounts are paid up, and there are no outstanding matters save the clothing, which I am informed by telegraph would be sent from New York by the first steamer of March. The bill for clothing will range from $2,500 to $3,000. I deliver to-day to Professor Smith $1,221. I have remitted to the Mechanics' and Traders' Bank $3,986; amount of check drawn by you at my request, $2,033, leaving there $1,953.

Therefore there is money enough on hand to pay this bill. It was my purpose to segregate all items of purchase, to see what has been spent for permanent furniture, salaries, board, etc., but the writing, day-book, ledger, press books, and the ten thousand little items of writing require a vast amount of writing. But gradually I advise this labor to be distributed among cadets. Thus I have named Cadet Irwin, as acting quartermaster sergeant. Soon we can name an acting sergeant major who will keep the account of delinquencies, thus relieving the superintendent and commandant of a large bulk of labor.

I have endeavored to foresee every possible contingency during my absence.

The studies, recreations and military exercises should be kept as now, for which Professor Smith is fully competent to control.

2nd. Any correspondence, answering letters, etc., convening Academic Board, and generally the duties of superintendent devolve on Professor Vallas.

3rd. The three servants can be profitably employed as now in gardening.

4th. We have a tailor, who agrees to work constantly, according to a schedule of prices to be approved by superintendent, but we have to guarantee him work amounting to ten dollars a week. We also provide him a part of the house to the east of the Seminary, and provide him with wood in the rough. He has a wife and one child, and they appear decent and respectable.

As to further improvements I have studied the ground, and am satisfied that a rough design, this day handed Professor Smith, will best fulfill our future, and will admit of any amount of enlargements. Nevertheless if the Board of Supervisors prefer, they might in person examine, and prepare a plan and cause all improvements to conform thereto. I advise at the earliest moment a good fence to be made - with two side gates and two handsome front gates – the whole to embrace about twenty-four acres of ground. I think for all fencing and lumber to be used, a good bargain could be made with Dr. Carson who has a sawmill close by, and who would, I am informed, be willing to exchange sawed lumber for timber of which we could furnish an abundance. Killing two birds with one stone viz: Clearing our grounds, and procuring lumber without the payment of money. This bargain should be made at once and the mill started in cutting fencing inch boards – five thousand feet, one foot wide and ten thousand feet, six inches wide, cypress or chinquepin posts should be contracted for four hundred posts – eight feet long, one or two sawed faces.

I will most certainly return in March, and if I resume my duties as superintendent and am charged with the contemplated improvements, it would be a large step, to have the foregoing provided in advance. I have gone over these points fully to Mr. Vallas, and Smith, and believe that no inconvenience or prejudice can result to the Seminary during my absence.

W. T.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 185-7

No comments: