Monday, May 22, 2023

Senator Daniel Webster to Peter Harvey, Sunday Evening, January 27, 1850

Washington, January 27, 1850. Sunday evening.

MY DEAR SIR,—As to the surveyorship, I do not know whether Fletcher had not better starve than take it. It is a profitable office, but it is temporary. I fear he cannot discharge its duties without being drawn away from his profession; and, if that should be the case, what would become of him, when his office expires?

It is disagreeable, but not disreputable, to starve. And, to say truth, I do not wish to see him dependent for his bread on the income of a subordinate place in the custom-house would rather starve with him. Besides, General McNeil will hold on, and expect to be continued. He is poor, and has daughters to support. He is a wounded soldier; his father was a most excellent man, and was a subordinate under my father's command at the battle of Bennington. I do not want to have any hand in turning him out.

The President's message is rather better received by the Whigs here than it seems to be with you. In some particulars, certainly, it might have been better.

I am very glad that you are coming to New York, this week or next, and that we may expect to see you here, for a day or two. As Mrs. Harvey is coming as far as Philadelphia, you ought, by all means, to bring her to Washington. We have not, I wish we had, a house large enough to offer her a room; but if you will give me notice, I will look up a comfortable lodging, and Mrs. Webster will be most happy to do all in her power to make her comfortable. Bring her.

Yours, always truly,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 352-3

No comments: